Monday, July 13, 2009

Even Colic Flies By

I was at the shore watching a harried dad trying to get his colicky baby to stop crying. He looked like he was going to start crying himself. I remember those days vividly. Though "they" swear it won't happen, all three of my babies had colic. The first was the worst, not knowing what to expect. The poor kid cried day and night. He was just miserable for months.

I do remember some tricks we used. The one that worked best was holding him over my shoulder with my hands on his ankles and his stomach on my shoulder. I rocked him up and down like a lever until his crying stopped. I even tried putting him in his car seat on the running washing machine but that one never worked too well! The magic trick was switching his formula. At the time, it was Nutramigen which was liquid gold....it cost twice as much as regular formula. I remember that money was no object if it got him to stop crying.

I bring this up because it reminds me of one of my favorite songs...It Won't be like This for Long by Darius Rucker. The song talks about the stages of his daughter's life and how quickly each one flew by. Now that my oldest is 21, colic was an eternity ago. Yet, at the time, I was a new overwhelmed mom whose kid wouldn't stop crying and it seemed like that stage lasted forever.

So, whatever your children are into now that are making you tear your hair out, just take a deep breath and reassure yourself that it won't be long before they're on to the next thing. In hindsight, even colic flies by.

No comments:

Post a Comment